Syringa Networks, a fiber optic infrastructure provider to southern Idaho, purchased a large empty building in the historic downtown core of Idaho Falls for their new office, NOC and telecommunications hub for eastern Idaho.
The building had been extensively remodeled since its beginnings as a Studebaker carriage and tack store built in the late 1800’s or very early 1900’s. There was an addition constructed in the 1930’s or 40’s which were structurally failing after a remodel with raised the roof several feet. Several other major alterations removed complete walls that provided critical seismic reinforcing. The large bow trusses over the oldest portion of the building had also been altered and were deteriorating. The historic facade had been removed during a poorly conceived modernization effort.
An in depth analysis of the building determined that the existing shell could be retrofit with a new structural stabilization system. Failing masonry walls and metal decks were removed and replaced. The original bow trusses have been cleaned and have received non-obtrusive and sensitive reinforcing where needed. Rock and brickwork have receive new pointing.
Though the historic facade had been removed, a new facade has been added to restore and expose the remaining historic fabric, window proportions and three previously hidden high windows. This facade is contextually appropriate to the proportions and materials of the adjacent historic buildings in the neighborhood. Because of the critical nature of the telecommunication systems, new gel battery systems with generator backup protection has been installed. State of the art pressurized gaseous agent fire suppression systems are being installed in the critical equipment rooms.
Design Team: Steve Trout, Kalan Beck, Neil King