Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the farmstead lies on about 1.75 acres of land along Dry Creek near the Hidden Springs Development in Ada County, Idaho. The farmhouse is estimated to be overe 140 years old with the first portions of the house built by Phillip L. Schick between 1863 and 1868. Additions to the main house were built in the 1870s and 1940s.
Costantino Ostolasa and his family lived on the farm from 1927 until 2005. This is one of the oldest intact farmhouses in the County. The farmhouse is on its original foundation and has not been substantially changed since it was built.
The farmstead had fallen into disrepair and was dangerously close to detrimental structural damage. The original porch had been removed or severely altered. Fortunately, many of the original elements still existed. A new roof has been installed, chimneys re-pointed, and a new porch constructed. Existing siding, window frames and trim have been restored. Trout Architects utilized 3D modeling overlaid with historic photographs to determine size, shape, and proportions of the new porch.
The interiors have also been restored to their historic period with some elements donated by relatives of the original homesteading families.
The completed historic house and property is now used as a living history museum with docents provided by the Dry Creek Historical Society.
Design Team: Elizabeth Young, Steve Trout