Building 4, also known as the Surgeon’s Quarters was built during the early construction years of 1863-1864. The original sandstone building was as a two-room building with rooms 14 by 16 feet. The two rooms provided space for an office and living quarters. A porch was added on the east and west elevations. In ca. 1880 a two-story brick addition was attached to the north elevation. A fire ca. 1950 destroyed much of this addition and the brick building was rebuilt into a single gable roof structure.
Building 4 housed the post surgeon and families for several decades until it was remodeled and used as an office building. For the 150th celebration of the building, Preservation Idaho, with the assistance of Trout Architects collaborated with the Fort Boise VAMC to restore the exterior of the building and rehabilitate the fireplace room to the 1870-80s period, including interpretive exhibits.
Design Team: Shaun Weston, Steve Trout